top of page
Water 2.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

Customer Service FAQs
  • Are you on social media?
    Easley Combined Utilities is on Facebook. Please like our page for current and up to date information.
  • I am looking to move to the Easley area; how do I find out if Easley Combined Utilities serves the area I am moving to?
    If you are unsure whether Easley Combined Utilities services your residence or place of business, contact our office at 864-859-4013 or email us at
  • Does my bill go up in December and January to pay for the city's Christmas lights?
    No. The City of Easley pays ECU for the installation of Christmas lights. The energy to burn the lights is small, however, this energy is taken into account in our operational and financial planning and no costs are added to the bills in December and January to pay for Christmas lights.
  • Do you have a list of local contractors who could assist with electrical or plumbing issues?
    Please note that Easley Combined Utilities does not promote one contractor over the other.
  • How do I sign up for new service?
    New residential customers to Easley Combined Utilities have the choice to apply for service via the phone at 864-859-4013 or in person at our office located at 110 Peachtree Street, Easley SC. We first verify your identity by obtaining personal information about you and entering it into Online Utility Exchange. Based on the results from the report, you may then be required to submit a copy of your driver’s license and social security card. These documents along with a completed Residential Application form may be submitted by fax at 864-644-8156, mailed to PO Box 619 Easley, SC 29641, emailed to or dropped off at our office. To sign up for business service, please contact our office at 864-859-4013.
  • Where do I pay my bill?
    Easley Combined Utilities offers several options to pay your bill. You can mail your payment, drop it in the night-drop box, use our new drive-thru kiosk at our office, pay by credit card, have your account drafted each month, or pay in our office at 110 Peachtree Street. We also take payments over the phone through our IVR System, on our website, or use the SmartHub app available on Apple and Android devices. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. You can also pay by phone using our automated pay by phone system at 1-888-222-8966.
  • Why is my bill so high?
    There are several reasons why your utility bill may have increased. The first place to look is at the usage of each utility since the last month. If your electric usage has increased, you will want to consider if it has been an extremely hot or cool month. Your heating and air system has to work hard when temperatures are extreme. Make sure to keep your thermostat set on 68 in winter months and 78 in summer months. Check all appliances to make sure they are running efficiently. A simple defect can cause an appliance to run all the time instead of cycling on and off when needed. Lack of Insulation and poorly sealed windows and doors may also play a part in high electric usage. Click here to find out How Much Does My Electricity Use Cost? If your water usage has increased, you may have a water leak. Toilet leaks are one of the most common sources of leaks wasting hundreds of gallons a day if left undetected. Follow this simple step to check for a leaky toilet: Remove the tank cover and add a couple of drops of food coloring to the tank. Wait at least 30 minutes. If the colored water appears in the bowl, you have a leak. Water leaks can also develop in the home’s water service line. If you see wet spots in your yard between the meter and your house, this could be a sign of a problem. Check for water under your house or in your basement too. If you notice an increase in both your water and electric usage, your hot water heater could be the culprit. Bad elements or an excess amount of buildup of sediment in the tank will cause the water heater to use more energy to maintain the tank temperature. Make sure that the thermostat is set at a reasonable temperature to reduce energy use. The Energy Department recommends 120. And if it’s leaking, that’s more water to fill the tank. Check plumbing fittings for any obvious visual leaks. If the leak is internal, water will most likely been seen at the bottom of the tank.
  • Who sets your policies and rates?
    Easley Combined Utilities is governed by a board of three elected officials. The Commission of Easley Combined Utilities meets every second Monday of each month unless otherwise noted.
  • What do I do if I can't pay my bill?
    If you are unable to pay your utility bill, please call customer service at 864-859-4013 and request an extension on your account to avoid disconnection. There are several local non-profit agencies that may offer emergency payment assistance.
  • What if I pay late or miss a payment?
    Budget Billing payments must be made by the due date to avoid being disconnected for non-payment and potentially being removed from Budget Billing. Your account will be subject to a 4% penalty, as applied to all other customer, if payment is not received by the due date.
  • What is the municipal fee?
    The municipal fee is a payment remitted to the City of Easley that equates to 5% of all electric, water, and sewer sales received by ECU from customers located within the city limits. This fee is collected by ECU and forwarded to the City of Easley. The municipal fee is similar to a franchise fee that an investor owned utility pays to a city in which it operates.
  • What are the office hours for Easley Combined Utilities?
    Easley Combined Utilities’ office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, except holidays. ECU observes the following holiday schedule: New Year’s Day Martin Luther King Day Good Friday Memorial Day Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Day (2 Days) Christmas (2 Days).
  • How do I calculate my bill?
    Your bill contains two components- a fixed charge and a variable charge. The fixed portion (listed on the Rate Schedule) as Basic Facilities Charge for electric and Minimum Charge for water and sewer, is charged monthly regardless of your usage. The variable portion (listed on the Rate Schedule) as Energy Charge for electric and Volume Charge for water and sewer, is calculated based on your usage. Your total charges for that service should be the sum of the fixed and variable components, and listed on your monthly bill. If your service location is located within city limits, a municipal fee of 5% is calculated based on all utility revenue. This municipal fee is listed separately on your monthly bill. If you need further assistance in calculating your bill, please contact our billing department at (864) 859-4013 or by email
  • Can I get payment assistance?
    No. Budget Billing is designed to help customers predetermine their monthly payment so you know how much to budget for each month.
  • What is your relationship with the City of Easley?
    The Commission of Public Works (“Easley Combined Utilities” or the “Commission”) is the governing body of the Utility that was established by State law. The Commission approves all major operating procedures, expenditures, capital improvements and has full authority over setting rates and charges. The Commission makes recommendations to the City Council for the issuance of revenue bonds to finance improvements to the Utility, but is otherwise authorized under State law to have full control and management of the Utility. Easley Combined Utilities collects a 5% municipal fee set by the City of Easley (the “City”) each month from customers who reside inside the city limits. This fee is listed as a line item on your utility bill and is passed along to the City on a monthly basis.
  • Is Easley Combined Utilities responsible if an electric outage causes damage to my appliances?
    Unless the damages are caused by negligence on the part of ECU, the homeowner is responsible. When the damage is caused by an act of nature – such as storms, wind or lightning, or animals – Easley Combined Utilities is not responsible. Please check with your insurance company to see if these types of losses are covered by your policy. If you believe ECU was involved in a negligent act that caused damage to your property, please call customer service at 864-859-4013. Submittal of a claim is not a guarantee of payment.
  • Do you share my personal information with anyone?
    We do not share your personal information with anyone. To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization.
  • How do you decide what the deposit requirements are for a business?
    Deposits are based on an estimation of two months highest utility bills from the prior occupant of the building. If the business is in a new building, the deposit is based on a building of similar structure. The customer service manager uses best professional judgement when determining deposits for businesses.
  • How can I report an outage?
    To report an outage, please call our main phone number at 864-859-4013 and select option 1. You will be directed to our automated system. You can also report an outage using SmartHub 24/7/365.
  • Can I skip a payment if I have a credit balance?
    No. You still have to make your monthly Budget Billing payment regardless of a credit balance.
  • Is there an opt-out option for electric smart meters?
    Yes. For opt-out options and pricing, please contact customer service @ (864) 859-4013 or
  • Do you offer rebates for electric appliances such as water heaters, heat system, etc.?
    At this time we do not offer rebates.
  • How do you register for a SmartHub web account?
  • What is SmartHub?
    At Easley Combined Utilities, we want you to have the convenience of managing your account any time, day or night. Signing up is easy to do. Rest assured that SmartHub provides a safe and secure environment. SmartHub is a free account management tool that allows you to access your account information on the web or through almost any mobile device, including iOS and Android smart phones and tablets.
  • Is there an overview of the SmartHub program?
  • How do you register for SmartHub on a mobile device?
  • Is there a QR code to access and download Smart Hub on a mobile device?
  • If there is an issue with my electric service, who is responsible for the repair?
    A. Overhead Service - Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the primary electric lines, the transformer and the service line to the customer’s weatherhead at the top of the mast. Once the service enters the weatherhead, the customer is responsible from this point on, including the meter base. Residential Underground Service - Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the primary electric lines, the transformer, and the service line to the meter base. The customer is responsible for the meter base and exposed conduit. See illustration. Commercial Underground Service - Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the transformer only. The commercial customer is responsible for the underground secondary service line.
  • What are Smart Meters?
    A smart meter is an advanced electronic meter that measures the electric usage more often than the conventional radio transmission meter. Smart meters have the capability to send information quickly to the customer and ECU. Smart meters use radio frequency (RF) to communicate, just like many devices in and around your home (including ECU electric meters that are currently installed on all services). However, unlike cell phones and current electric meters, smart meters only actively transmit signals for a small fraction (between .01% and 5%) of the day, and at several orders of magnitude lower energy levels. Through two‐way communication, smart meters can monitor the distribution system and provide real‐ time information (such as current usage and outages) to ECU. .
  • What area do you service with electricity?
    For questions regarding our service area, please email us at
  • Where does ECU get its power?
    ECU gets the majority of its power from the Piedmont Municipal Power Agency (PMPA). Easley along with nine (9) other upstate cities own a 25% share of the Catawba Nuclear Station Unit #2. Any power needs that PMPA cannot provide to ECU is provided by Santee Cooper. Santee Cooper power is generated by burning natural gas. ECU also has a hydroelectric generation entitlement from the Southeastern Power Administration. A breakdown of ECU’s power by fuel source is as follows: Nuclear (Catawba) 82% Natural Gas (Santee Cooper) 10% Hydroelectric (SEPA) 8% ECU is proud to say it does not have any coal fired generation in our portfolio.
  • Does Easley Combined Utilities allow residential solar systems on its electric system?
    Easley Combined Utilities encourages the responsible use of electricity and does have a residential solar program. Customers wishing to install their own “Customer Owned Renewable Generation” system can be seamlessly integrated with our electric system. They will then be compensated for their excess generations above their own load. For more information, please access our Net Metering Policy or call our office at 864-859-4013.
  • Is Easley Combined Utilities responsible if an electric outage causes damage to my appliances?
    Unless the damages are caused by negligence on the part of ECU, the homeowner is responsible. When the damage is caused by an act of nature – such as storms, wind or lightning, or animals – Easley Combined Utilities is not responsible. Please check with your insurance company to see if these types of losses are covered by your policy. If you believe ECU was involved in a negligent act that caused damage to your property, please call customer service at 864-859-4013. Submittal of a claim is not a guarantee of payment.
  • How would I know if my water became unsafe to drink?
    Easley Combined Utilities would post any type of Boil Water Advisory or Boil Water Notice via website, social media and television.
  • What area do you service with water?
    For questions regarding our service area, please email us at
  • If there is a water leak, who is responsible?
    Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the water main lines and the service line from our main line to the water meter located on your property. The service line that brings water into your home or business from the meter is the customer’s responsibility. If you see water on the pavement or in the road, please contact us at 864-859-4013 or email us
  • Does my water have fluoride in it?
    Yes. Easley Combined Utilities keeps the fluoride level between 0.5 to 0.6 parts per million (ppm). The United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a fluoride level of 0.7 ppm.
  • What should I do if I have a concern about my water?
    Our water treatment plant is operated and staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you have a question or concern regarding your water, please call us 864-859-4013 and select Option 5.
  • How safe is my water?
    The Don L. Moore Water Treatment Plant is a state of the art conventional water treatment facility with a State certified lab that meets or exceeds all requirements for State reporting. We have been awarded the Area Wide Optimization Award (AWOP) for eight years in a row that states we not only meet minimum standards but exceed those standards for safe clean water. The Don L. Moore Water Treatment Plant most recently was received the American Water Works Association Partnership for Safe Water Award. The award is achieved by completing a comprehensive water treatment system self-assessment and a continuing optimization program aimed at providing superior water quality for all users. Participation in the program goes beyond the requirements of legislation and regulatory standards.
  • Should I have a home water filter system?
    Easley Combined Utilities guarantees that you will have safe water to drink straight from the tap that does not require any further treatment.
  • Can I have my water tested?
    Yes. A water system operator will come to your residence or business to take a sample of your water. We will notify you of the results within a 24 – 48 hour period.
  • What kind of disinfectant do you use in the water?
    Easley Combined Utilities uses Free Chlorine (concentration of chlorine available for disinfection) in the range of about 1.6 to 2.1 parts per million (ppm).
  • How do I find out about the quality of the water I drink?
    The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) have established strict standards for all water systems that produce water for drinking as well as other purposes. Easley Combined Utilities’ State certified system operators make numerous routine chemical and physical tests that are reported to the EPA and DHEC. The 2020 Annual Water Quality Report is a compilation of data submitted to both of those agencies.
  • Where does my water come from?
    Easley Combined Utilities raw water source is Saluda Lake. Saluda Lake is a 336 acre impoundment on the Saluda River on the Pickens/Greenville County line.
  • What benefit does adding fluoride in water give me?
    Water fluoridation is an added health measure in reducing the incidence of cavities among the treated population.
  • Are tours of wastewater treatment plants offered?
    Yes, but they need to be scheduled. To schedule a tour contact our Wastewater Treatment Superintendent at call 864-859-4013 ext. 8162 or email
  • Does Easley Combined Utilities accept septic tank waste or RV waste?
    Easley Combined Utilities does not accept septic tank or RV waste. The Pickens County Public Service Commission (PCS) will accept septic tank waste. For questions or further information call the PSC at 864-843-5808.
  • What area do you service with sewer?
    For questions regarding our service area, please email us at
  • Does Easley Combined Utilities provide any type of storage for cooking grease to properly dispose of?
    Easley Combined Utilities does not provide containers, but our website offers helpful tips for proper disposal in our Grease Management Program.
  • Who do I need to contact with odor complaints?
    Easley Combined Utilities is committed to controlling and monitoring odor emissions at each of our three wastewater treatment plants and our sewer lift stations on a daily basis. However, we cannot guarantee that there will be no odors at all times. If you have an odor complaint please contact our Wastewater Plant Superintendent at 864-859-4013 ext. 8162 or email
  • If I have a sewer problem, who is responsible?
    Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the sewer main lines. The service line from a home or business to the sewer main line is the customer’s responsibility. If you suspect you have a sewer blockage, contact us at 864-859-4013 so that we can begin working with you to help determine the cause and where the blockage may be.
  • What is the Infrastructure Grant Program for commercial businesses?
    Th ECU Infrastructure Grant Program is targeted for commercial businesses that are rehabilitating existing buildings in the Tax Increment Financing District of the City of Easley. Goal: It is the policy of Easley Combined Utilities to require commercial customers to pay the cost of installation and/or replacement of the electric, water, and sewer infrastructure from existing ECU utility facilities to the commercial structure being served. It is the goal and intent of this program that grant proceeds be used to defray the cost of these expenses. Grant proceeds cannot be used to pay any capital contribution charges, utility deposits, or account activation fees. Annual Grant Amount: Total amount of funds dispersed through the grant program in a calendar year will be $50,000. Total amount of funds that will be dispersed for any one project or building will be $10,000. Application: To apply for the funds a customer must submit the following to the General Manager of ECU at A letter describing the project rehabilitation and business to be opened A conceptual design of the renovated building A site map that identifies the location of the existing customer owned utility facilities and ECU owned utility facilities A detailed description of the utility facilities that need to be upgraded, and any new utility facilities that will be needed An estimate of the cost of the rehabilitated utility facilities and an estimate of the cost of any new utility facilities Confirmation that all requirements of the building and zoning regulations of the City of Easley has been met A schedule of construction activities and business opening date Grant Awards: Grant awards will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis to all qualifying projects. All decisions concerning the award of the grant will be final.
  • I am a vendor. How do I request ECU to complete a credit application?
    If you are a vendor, and you are requesting Easley Combined Utilities to complete a credit application, please forward the necessary application and/or forms to
  • Does Easley Combined Utilities award any scholarships to students at Easley High School?
    ECU will award four (4) $500.00 scholarships to eligible Easley High School candidates. To be eligible, an applicant's parent or legal guardian must be on ECUs' electric service from the time of application through graduation. The application deadline is February 28, 2023.
  • How do ECU electric rates compare to others in the state?
  • What needs to be included in a DRP Submittal Package?
    A transmittal letter outlining the submittal package. This transmittal should clearly identify the package as a DRP submittal. One original and one copy of the SCDHEC Application for Permit to Construct, properly completed with appropriate signatures. An application fee of $75.00 will be made electronically via the SC DHEC Bureau of Finance website. A payment link will be provided by the Operations Engineer at time of permit submittal to SC DHEC. A DRP review fee made payable to Easley Combined Utilities. Please see below of associated fee. Upon receipt of payment of sewer capacity fees, ECU will provide a letter of acceptance from the entity to provide treatment of the wastewater, stating the number of lots, flow, etc. being accepted. The letter will include a statement on the ownership and operation and maintenance of the proposed collection system. A 208 Plan certification from the Appalachian Council of Governments (ACOG). P.O. Box 6668 Greenville, SC 29606. Phone: (864) 242-9733 Fax: (864)242-6957 Two sets of construction plans signed and sealed by a licensed engineer. One copy of appropriate design calculations. Flow calculations should be based on Regulation 61-67, Appendix A. One copy of an 8.5" x 11" location map separate from the plans. Two copies of easements necessary for construction (if applicable).
  • Where do I get more information on the Delegated Review Program?
    For more information in the Delegated Review Program for wastewater collection systems, please contact: Alex Dye Easley Combined Utilities 864-644-8165 P.O. Box 619 Easley, South Carolina 29641 You may also find additional information on the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
  • What is the Delegated Program Review?
    Historically, public entities have relied upon the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) to ensure the sewer collection systems connecting to their systems were properly designed and constructed. However, as Publicly-owned Treatment Works (POTW) became more sophisticated, each POTW began developing design standards that were unique to their system. This was done to help standardize materials and equipment used throughout the system, allowing for reduced strain on maintenance personnel as well as a reduction in the amount of replacement parts that must be kept on hand. The Delegated Review Program was created to help streamline the permitting process for wastewater collection systems while also ensuring that the material, equipment, and sewer design conform to standards that are established by the POTW. This is done by allowing the POTW to complete the technical review of project using their SCDHEC approved specifications and design criteria. Once the POTW completes its technical review, the project is submitted to SCDHEC by the local entity with certification that the project meets the design standards and criteria of the approved local program. Once the plans are received by SCDHEC, only an administrative review is completed to ensure that there is available capacity at the receiving wastewater treatment facility. Wastewater collection projects submitted under this program can generally be permitted by SCDHEC within a few days of their receipt by the POTW.
  • What type of projects are covered by the Delegated Review Program?
    All gravity sewer line extensions for 16-inch diameter lines or smaller. All pump station projects with a design size of 2,000 gpm or smaller. All 16-inch diameter force main or smaller from pump stations tying onto gravity sewer. The program does not include alternative sewer systems unless the project is an extension of an alternative sewer system that has already been approved by SCDHEC.
  • What are the DRP fees for Easley Combined Utilities?
    Residential Development Fee Less than 100 lots=$750 100 to 300 lots=$1,000 Over 300 lots=$1,250 Pump Station = $1,500 Commercial Developments=$1,000
  • Can I request a load management device if I am not the homeowner?
    If you are a renter, the homeowner must consent to the installation of the LMD. The homeowner will receive the one-time $20 credit. However, you will be placed on the Load Management Program Residential Rate.
  • What information do I need to sign up?
    We will need your name, address, phone number, email address and your ECU account number. Visit the LMP Sign Up page to sign up.
  • What does the load management device look like?
  • Who can I contact with questions?
    Call a customer service representative at 864-859-4013 or email us at
  • Who is eligible?
    The program is designed for residential customers that have a central HVAC unit. To participate in the program you need to be the homeowner, or if a renter, get the homeowner to sign up.
  • Will the program lower my monthly power bill?
    Yes. Savings are immediate with a one-time $20 account credit upon sign up and LMD installation. You will also be placed on the preferred ECU Load Management Program Residential Rate.
  • What are the times for load management?
    The load management program will only be activated in the hours when ECU predicts that it will hit its peak energy usage. The peak hours of energy usage will typically occur on a weekday during the months of June, July and August from 2 pm to 6 pm. In a normal year, load management will typically be activated for a total of 15 hours over these three months.
  • Are there other benefits?
    In addition to the financial benefits this program provides environmental benefits by delaying the construction of future power plants.
  • How does the program work?
    The program works by ECU installing an LMD on the HVAC unit of a residential customer. During times of peak demand, the LMD will be activated and will cycle off the compressor of the HVAC unit. The compressor will be turned off for a maximum of 8 minutes and will remain on for a minimum of 24 min. The fan of the HVAC unit will remain operating to insure that the customer’s comfort will not be impacted. Cycling off the HVAC compressor of participating customers will reduce the energy requirements of ECU during peak hours and will reduce wholesale power costs.
bottom of page