ECU owns and operates 3 waste water treatment plants with a total treatment capacity of 4.9 MGD. ECU has 199 miles of sewer line serving 10,400 retail sewer customers. ECU also utilizes 26 pump stations to transferred sewer to the waste treatment plants.


The disposal of sludge or biosolids from a wastewater treatment facility can be one of the largest expenses incurred in the treatment of raw sewage. In years past, it was normal practice to dispose of biosolids by burial in landfills. This method is expensive and takes up valuable space.

There is a more cost-effective method to dispose of the waste, while also being environmental friendly; that method is land application of the biosolids. Land application has proven a cost-effective method of waste disposal by beneficially recycling organic matter and nutrients and improving soil quality.

The nitrogen in this organic fertilizer is primarily organic nitrogen, which is released slowly over time so it is available when the crop needs it. Biosolids also have many other essential elements needed for plant growth. Many area farmers use it for its phosphorus and zinc because these two elements are deficient on many area soils. The use of the biosolids reduces the fertilizer expenses for the farmer as well.

You can obtain more information on biosolids and land application from the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Fats, Oils & Grease Program

Did you know that cooking grease coats pipes similar to the way that fatty foods clog human arteries? Grease as a warm liquid may look harmless. However, as it cools it solidifies and clings to the inside of the pipes and can cause a complete blockage in the sewer line. Residential Pipes clog easier since they are only 2” to 4” in diameter and can cost hundreds of dollars in repair bills because of sewer backups. Think pouring hot water and detergent down the drain after the grease is okay? Think again. This only breaks the grease up temporarily. Disposing of grease down your kitchen sink or flushing it down the toilet can cause messy sewer backups in your home or business and can lead to problems for wastewater treatment plants.  To view our Grease Management Program, click here.

To Flush or Not To Flush

Is it flushable? For sewer systems and wastewater treatment plants, flushing anything other than toilet paper and human waste can wreak havoc on a system. Despite their claim to be flushable, items such as facial tissue, baby wipes, and disposable toilet brushes do not disintegrate at the same rate as toilet paper. Sewer pipes at your home are generally no larger than 4 inches and designed to carry water, human waste and toilet paper. Flushing items other than this creates blockages, clogs pipes and drains and can lead to sewer backups in the home and city streets as well as creates unnecessary problems for wastewater treatment facilities.

Below is a list of items that should be put in the trash can, not down the toilet.

  • Facial Tissue
  • Baby Wipes or Flushable Wipes
  • Rags
  • Paper Towels & Napkins
  • Dryer Sheets
  • Disposable Toilet Brushes
  • Cotton Balls
  • Q-Tips
  • Dental Floss
  • Feminine Products
  • Cat Litter
  • Food & Grease
  • Medications (Please see the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Guidelines for disposing of unwanted medications.)
Rags found in Utility sewer system with nowhere to go.
Rags found in Utility sewer system with nowhere to go.
Rags flushed down customer’s service line ending up in Utility’s main sewer system.
Rags flushed down customer’s service line ending up in Utility’s main sewer system.

Delegated Review Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Delegated Review Program (DRP)?

Historically, public entities have relied upon the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) to ensure the sewer collection systems connecting to their systems were properly designed and constructed.

However, as Publicly-owned Treatment Works (POTW) became more sophisticated, each POTW began developing design standards that were unique to their system. This was done to help standardize materials and equipment used throughout the system, allowing for reduced strain on maintenance personnel as well as a reduction in the amount of replacement parts that must be kept on hand.

The Delegated Review Program was created to help streamline the permitting process for wastewater collection systems while also ensuring that the material, equipment, and sewer design conform to standards that are established by the POTW. This is done by allowing the POTW to complete the technical review of project using their SCDHEC approved specifications and design criteria. Once the POTW completes its technical review, the project is submitted to SCDHEC by the local entity with certification that the project meets the design standards and criteria of the approved local program.

Once the plans are received by SCDHEC, only an administrative review is completed to ensure that there is available capacity at the receiving wastewater treatment facility. Wastewater collection projects submitted under this program can generally be permitted by SCDHEC within a few days of their receipt by the POTW.

What type of projects are covered by the Delegated Review Program?

  1. All gravity sewer line extensions for 16-inch diameter lines or smaller.
  2. All pump station projects with a design size of 2,000 gpm or smaller.
  3. All 16-inch diameter force main or smaller from pump stations tying onto gravity sewer.

The program does not include alternative sewer systems unless the project is an extension of an alternative sewer system that has already been approved by SCDHEC.

What needs to be included in a DRP submittal Package?

  1. A transmittal letter outlining the submittal package. This transmittal should clearly identify the package as a DRP submittal.
  2. One original and one copy of the SCDHEC Application for Permit to Construct, properly completed with appropriate signatures.
  3. An application fee of $75.00 made payable to SC DHEC Bureau of Finance.
  4. A DRP review fee made payable to Easley Combined Utilities. Please see below of associated fee.
  5. A letter of acceptance from the entity provided treatment of the wastewater, stating the number of lots, flow, etc. being accepted. The letter shall also include a statement on the ownership and operation and maintenance of the proposed collection system.
  6. A 208 Plan certification from the Appalachian Council of Governments (ACOG). P.O. Box 6668 Greenville, SC 29606. Phone: (864) 242-9733 Fax: (864)242-6957
  7. Two sets of construction plans signed and sealed by a licensed engineer.
  8. One copy of appropriate design calculations. Flow calculations should be based on Regulation 61-67, Appendix A.
  9. One copy of an 8.5" x 11" location map separate from the plans.
  10. Two copies of easements necessary for construction (if applicable).

What are the DRP fees for Easley Combined Utilities?

Residential Development   Fee
Less than 100 lots   $500.00
100 to 300 lots   $750.00
Over 300 lots   $1,000.00
Commercial Developments   $750.00

Where do I get more information on the Delegated Review Program?

For more information in the Delegated Review Program for wastewater collection systems, please contact:

Alex Dye
Easley Combined Utilities
P.O. Box 619
Easley, South Carolina 29641

You may also find additional information on the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are tours of the wastewater treatment plants offered?

A. Yes, but they need to be scheduled. To schedule a tour contact our Wastewater Treatment Superintendent at call 864-859-4013 ext. 8162 or email sbarnes@easleyutilities.com.

Q. Does Easley Combined Utilities accept septic tank waste or RV waste?

A. Easley Combined Utilities does not accept septic tank or RV waste. However, Pickens County Public Service Commission (PCS) will accept septic tank waste only.  For questions or further information call the PSC at 864-843-5808.


Q. Does Easley Combined Utilities provide any type of storage for cooking grease to properly dispose of?

A. Easley Combined Utilities does not provide containers, but our website offers helpful tips for proper disposal in our Grease Management Program.

Q. Who do I need to contact with odor complaints?

A. Easley Combined Utilities is committed to controlling and monitoring odor emissions at each of our three wastewater treatment plants and our sewer lift stations on a daily basis. However, we cannot guarantee that there will be no odors at all times. If you have an odor complaint please contact our Wastewater Plant Superintendent at 864-859-4013 ext. 8162 or email sbarnes@easleyutilities.com.

Q. What area do you service with sewer?

A. To see a map of our sewer service area, click here.  For questions regarding our service area, please email us at mapping@easleyutilities.com.

Q. If I have a sewer problem, who is responsible?

A. Easley Combined Utilities is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the sewer main lines. The service line from a home or business to the sewer main line is the customer’s responsibility. If you suspect you have a sewer blockage, contact us at 864-859-4013 so that we can begin working with you to help determine the cause and where the blockage may be. See illustration.